Lead Software Developer
The mission of the Mobilization Department at the Democratic National Committee is to bring ordinary people into the heart of the DNC and provide grassroots supporters with encouragement, power, and the tools to mobilize in their communities.
We are a team of passionate, cross-discipline experts committed to spreading the truth, getting supporters more deeply involved, and mobilizing grassroots donors to support the party through creative, relentlessly optimized experiences online and offline. Come join us.
We’re looking for a Lead Developer to manage development of our largest website properties, IWillVote.comand Democrats.org. The person in this role will be based on the Mobilization team but will work closely with our Tech team to test and optimize user experience and accessibility. The Mobilization team at the DNC is a group of digital practitioners who focus on building communities of grassroots supporters online. Most of the people on our team are not engineers but we have the vision behind how our supporters should interact with us via our web properties. This role is ideal for a self-starter who has worked with cross-functional teams before or is patient and willing to translate engineering work into layman’s terms for practical use.
- Lead development of the DNC’s website properties, including com, VoyAVotar.com, and Democrats.org
- Identify opportunities to expand com’s current product features using user research, data analysis, market research, and conversations with stakeholders
- Lead on the technical aspects of a Request for Proposal process to overhaul orgfrom a client perspective
- Maintain BSD signup forms, email wrappers, and work with the backend of our donation processing systems like Stripe and PayPal
- Lead accessibility maintenance efforts of all platforms to WCAG 2.0 standards and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the ADA Amendments Act
- Optimize our web properties, including planning, implementing, and delivering product solutions
- Manage updates, modifications, and improvements to current website properties and projects
- Implement integrations with APIs, CRMs, and third-party tools as needed
- Work with the Mobilization team to answer technical questions on an array of projects
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 4 years of web development experience or 2+ years of managing a development team
- Fundamental understanding of mobile first responsive web design and user experience
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Front end experience with CSS, HTML, or PHP
- Experience working with CRMs such as Blue State Digital, ActionNetwork, and NGP8
- Previous experience in a campaign, advocacy, or progressive political organization
- Preference given for those in D.C. or willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area, but we’d consider remote work possibilities for the right candidate
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.