Site Reliability Engineer at Elastic () (allows remote)
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Thanks to our ongoing expansion we have the opportunity to grow our Site Reliability team. We’re a part of the Elastic Swiftype engineering team. We are looking for SREs who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty. We are a core feature for search capabilities. Here you’ll be responsible for identifying, troubleshooting and reporting platform problems to product engineers (or fixing the code yourself). We’re looking for people who are just as passionate about troubleshooting issues with distributed systems as they are to automate, code and collaborate to solve problems.
- You will report and solve problems within the Swiftype Core infrastructure and collaborate on issues with product engineers
- You will participate in SRE software engineering, writing code for the continuing reduction of human intervention in operational tasks and automation of processes
- You will monitor the Swiftype platform, responding to incidents, correcting and improving systems to prevent incidents and planning capacity
- You will manage site search and app search infastructure, system deployments and product releases
- You are either an experienced sysadmin with professional skills in Linux, preferably on distributed systems at scale, and a demonstrable interest in using software engineering to solve operational problems; or a software engineer with real interest, and ideally some experience, in Linux systems, networking, monitoring and automation.
- You have at least three years of experience using a public Cloud; AWS, GCP, Azure, Softlayer or OpenStack
- You have used Ansible, Puppet, Chef or another config management suite, know where it’s broken, and open to trying new alternatives
- Healthy knowledge of Linux (have compiled your own kernel at some point, know how to trace syscalls, understand TCP, care about the difference between sysvinit/runit/systemd, etc.)
- Relentless desire to automate and build software tools
- Desire to represent work in git, driven by a GitHub workflow through issues and pull requests
- Love open source development, and have contributed to some project somewhere (doesn’t have to be ours), whether through mailing lists, patches, documentation, etc.
- Enjoy working remotely and the communication it requires
- Love a diverse environment, working with men and women all over the world
We’re looking to hire team members invested in realising the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Stock options
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.