Hong Kong (SAR of China) travel advice – GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
This travel advice covers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR). For mainland China, see travel advice for China.
The UK has introduced COVID-19 related border measures for people arriving into England from mainland China. These restrictions do not apply to anyone travelling from Hong Kong. Travellers should check the latest advice on the travel to England from another country during COVID page for further information on requirements.
If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.
It is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.
Hong Kong, like other parts of China, does not recognise dual nationality. There is a risk that those who commit an offence under the National Security Law could be detained and removed to mainland China. For more information, see Local laws and customs.
You should avoid protests and demonstrations. See Political situation.
There are reports of greater scrutiny from mainland authorities at border crossings between the mainland and Hong Kong at this time, See Visits to mainland China
Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Hong Kong, attacks cannot be ruled out. See Terrorism
The typhoon season in Hong Kong normally runs from April to October. See Natural disasters
You should take sensible precautions against pick pocketing and other street crime. See Crime
12,876 British nationals visited Hong Kong in 2022. Most visits are trouble free.
If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.
The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.
You can sign up for email alerts to be notified when this travel advice is updated.
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.